Completed applications are due by July 22, 2017.
Valley Natural Foods board of directors has up to nine elected members. Each board member is expected to commit to a three-year term. It is the responsibility of the board to ensure Valley Natural Foods is a successful, ethical and financially sound business guided by board governance and cooperative principals.
An Executive Committee, selected by the board, includes the president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. Other standing committees may include growth, board development, electronic technology, and member engagement. Regular board meetings are held January through November on the 4th Monday of the month from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at the Valley Natural Foods classroom in Burnsville unless business needs require schedule and location changes. The average monthly commitment is four to eight hours – depending on the committee and project workload.
Responsibilities of the board of directors:
1. To set long-range goals and to ensure planning for the future.
2. To ensure sound management of the co-op’s resources.
3. To act as trustees on behalf of the members.
To fulfill these responsibilities, the board of directors must focus on four key areas:
1. Hiring, supervising, and evaluating the general manager.
2. Planning for the co-op’s future and approving management’s plan.
3. Approving capital and operating budgets.
4. Recruiting new directors to ensure a well-qualified board.
Other decisions regarding the obligatory aspects of the co-op’s governance system such as the development of policies and guidelines and related matters also fall within the purview of the board.
Expectations of Board of Directors:
1. To understand and promote the mission of Valley Natural Foods.
2. To act in the interests of the whole membership, not a specific constituency.
3. To attend meetings faithfully and serve on committees effectively (4-8 hours a month time
commitment, depending on committee assignments).
4. To assess their own performance as board members.
Directors receive a monthly stipend and reimbursement of eligible board-related expenses.
All members, who are in good standing with the co-op and are not employees of the co-op or any other grocer, may run for the board of directors. Note: The board reserves the right to select a slate of candidates.
Announcement to vote and meeting information will be mailed to Valley Natural Foods members and candidate bios will be available online in September. Newly elected board of directors will be announced at the annual member meeting in October.