Warm weather means its grilling season! This simple bison burger is the perfect combination of spicy and savory. Can be cooked in a skillet or on a hot grill.
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh garden salsa
- Hamburger buns (optional)
- 1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground buffalo, chipotle powder, salt, oregano and cumin using your hands.
- 2. Form mixture into 4 patties and grill or cook in a skillet,. If using a skillet heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 3. Place patties on the grill or in a skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side (internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit).
- 4. Place sliced pepper jack cheese on each patty and cover with grill or skillet lid to melt the cheese.
- 5. Remove from grill/skillet and place on a bun and top with avocado slices and fresh salsa. Additional toppings can include bacon, chipotle mayo and red onions.