This salad is the perfect accompaniment to your next fall meal. Salad greens topped with Freekeh, apples, celery, green onions, apple cider dressing and then sprinkled with dried cranberries and pecan pieces. To make this salad even more delectable, try topping with candied pecan pieces.
Freekeh is a type of healthy whole grain that has been toasted and cracked and comes from a young green durum wheat. To cook Freekeh add 1 1/2 C. of Freekeh with 3 3/4 C. water into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until Freekeh is desired tenderness.
- 2-3 C. spring mix salad greens
- 1 1/2 C. cooked and cooled Freekeh
- 1 1/2 C. diced apples
- 1/2 C. diced celery
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 1/4 C. chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. dried cranberries
- 1. Place salad greens on a serving platter or plate and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the Freekeh, apples, celery, and green onions together; set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 4. Slowly pour the the olive oil in whisking constantly until well blended.
- 5. Drizzle the Freekeh mixture with the dressing and toss to coat.
- 6. Place the Freekeh mixture on the bed of salad greens, sprinkle with dried cranberries and pecans and serve.