This appetizer can also be served as a dessert. Fresh nectarines paired with crème fraiche, and a tangy balsamic reduction all placed atop a toasted baguette. Change it up by adding your favorite stone fruit.
- 2 cups. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- ¼ cup brown sugar or honey
- 1 French baguette, cut into ½ inch thick slices, toasted on both sides
- 8 ounces container crème fraîche
- 4-6 nectarines, sliced
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1. Pour the vinegar, garlic, thyme and brown sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- 2. Reduce heat and continue to simmer, scraping down the sides every 10 minutes until the vinegar is reduced by half and resembles syrup – about 30 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat and cool completely before use.
- 4. While the balsamic reduction is cooling, spread some crème fraiche onto a slice of toasted baguette and top with a few nectarine slices.
- 5. Repeat with remaining bread slices and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- 6. Top with fresh basil pieces and serve.
- 7. *NOTE: The balsamic reduction can be made and refrigerated a day or two before use.