Try warming up this fall with this Zesty Squash Soup; butternut squash and pie pumpkin blended with curry and chili powder and then topped with pumpkin seeds. For an added kick try adding red pepper flakes.
Try topping this soup with roasted pecans or making your own Candied Pecans with Applewood Smoked Sea Salt:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine syrup, smoked salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add pecans and stir to coat. Spread pecans onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 15 minutes – remove from oven every 5 minutes, stir and place back in the oven. After pecans have roasted for 15 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. chili powder, depending on taste
- 5 – 6 C. vegetable broth (can use chicken broth as well)
- 3 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes or pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp. salt or try 1/2 – 1 tsp. of Applewood Smoked Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Pumpkin seeds or pecans (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, curry powder and chili powder to the pot and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
- Add 5 C. of the broth and then add the squash and sweet potatoes to the stock pot. If you are adding red pepper flakes you can also do that at this step, or at the very end.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. If using frozen squash and sweet potatoes, the cooking times may vary.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor, and puree in small batches until smooth. You can also use an immersion hand blender and carefully blend the mixture in the stock pot – using a rubber scraper to get the mixture from the sides.
- If the soup is too thick, add the remaining broth in increments until you get a desired consistency.
- Return to pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt and/or toasted pecans.