Expansion Update: Week of May 14, 2018
We’ve experienced a slight delay in the start date on our expansion. Last week, our general contractor Kraus-Anderson became aware of the requirement for asbestos testing on the car wash prior to its demolition. Although the use of asbestos in construction was no longer a common practice when the car wash was built circa 2000, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency nonetheless required a test to be performed. As expected, test results showed no traces of asbestos. However, the subsequent reporting and certification process will postpone the construction start date by approximately two weeks.
In other expansion news:
- After negotiations, we are signing with Kraus-Anderson to be our general contractor.
- Our equipment selections are on a positive track.
- We are currently looking at bids for the fabrication and installation of our interior design and décor elements.
Architect's rendering of new produce dept.
Architect's rendering of newcustomer service area
Architect's rendering of new front end area
Architect's rendering of new bulk area
Architect's rendering of new deli and juice bar seating area
Architect's rendering of new classroom
Architect's rendering of new seating area
Our expansion and full-store remodel ushers in a new chapter in Valley Natural Foods’ 40-plus-year history. The expanded Valley Natural Foods will enable the co-op to provide a more contemporary shopping experience for owners and customers. Some of the features will include:
- An increased store footprint of nearly 8,600 square feet.
- Increased retail space of 3,400 square feet; kitchen and production areas will increase by 3,600 square feet. Receiving, mechanical, and office space will increase by 1,600 ft.
- Wider shopping aisles.
- An additional 40 parking spaces will be added to the property, including six new spaces by the back entrance.
- New HVAC and refrigeration control systems will help reduce environmental impact.
- A wider variety of hot and ready-to-eat housemade meals
We will also add retail shelf space in all departments. Fresh and prepared foods and wellness programs, in particular, will see significant increases, including:
- Deli and Kitchen: 1,100 additional square-feet for increased production and retail capacity
- Produce: an additional 120 square feet
- Meat and Seafood: larger service cases and an additional 12 feet of shelf space for an expanded meat selection
- Wellness: an additional 50 linear feet of shelving units
The remodeled store will also feature a newly expanded seating area. The current classroom will be remodeled, as well, to give the space a more communal atmosphere.
The entire project slated to be complete by late 2018 or early 2019. The co-op will remain open throughout the duration of the remodel.