- 3 – 4 sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 shallots, halved
- Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 slices of thick bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3 – 4 kale leaves, shredded
- 1 ½ cup cooked wheat berries
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, shallots and enough olive oil to coat potatoes.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until slightly browned and a toothpick inserts easily into the sweet potatoes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Place only the cooled sweet potatoes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the roasted shallots, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, fresh thyme and red pepper flakes into a blender and puree for one minute.
- Continue blending and slowly stream the olive oil into the mixture to emulsify. Blend the dressing ingredients for an additional minute; set aside.
- Add the bacon, shredded kale, wheat berries, red onion, walnuts and minced cranberries into the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Pour half of the dressing on the salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. If desired, add more dressing before consuming.
Variation: Dried blueberries, pineapples or any other dried fruit and nuts can be stirred into the mixture prior to freezing.