Valley Natural Foods carries fair-trade avocados from Equal Exchange. Keep reading to find out more about Equal Exchange and why fair trade matters.
What is Equal Exchange?
Equal Exchange works to create “a trade model that respects farmers, builds communities, and supports the environment.” The company started in 1986 and initially began working to try to fix the food system with fair-trade coffee in Nicaragua. They have since provided support for small farmers of crops like bananas, chocolate, cocoa, nuts, dried fruits, olive oil and tea.
Equal Exchange was founded on the ideas of being (from the Equal Exchange website):
- A social change organization that would help farmers and their families gain more control over their economic futures.
- A group that would educate consumers about trade issues affecting farmers.
- A provider of high-quality foods that would nourish the body and the soul.
- A company that would be controlled by the people who did the actual work.
- A community of dedicated individuals who believed that honesty, respect, and mutual benefit are integral to any worthwhile endeavor.
Why Fair Trade?
Fair trade ensures that farmers and workers work in safe conditions and receive fair compensation.
The 10 principles of Fair Trade include:
- Opportunities for disadvantaged producers
- Transparency & accountability
- Fair Trade practices
- Fair payment
- No child labor, no forced labor
- No discrimination, gender equity, freedom of association
- Good working conditions
- Capacity building
- Promote Fair Trade
- Respect for the environment
Find Equal Exchange avocados in our produce department. Valley Natural Foods also carries Equal Exchange fair-trade bananas, dried fruit (in bulk), chocolate bars (including the small bites by the registers), olive oil, cocoa mix, tea and coffee.
For more information on fair trade, conventional farming conditions and Equal Exchange refer to the following resources: